

**Nevada Chapter
American Planning Association Executive Committee Board Meeting
February 1, 2021**

Meeting Minutes

Attendees:

Nathan Goldberg, AICP, Chapter President
Lorenzo Mastino, Chapter Vice President
Jared Tasko, AICP, LEED Green Associate, Chapter Treasurer
Marco Velotta, AICP, LEED Green Associate, Professional Development Officer
Ellie Reeder, Chapter Secretary
Garrett Terberg, Southern Section Director
Alfredo Melesio, Jr, Southern Section Assistant Director
Jim Marshall, Southern Section Treasurer
Naomi Lewis, Southern Section Secretary
Fred Steinman, Northern Section Director
Aric Jensen, Northern Section Treasurer
Amber Harmon, Northern Section Secretary

Absent:

Robert Summerfield, Immediate Past President
Greg Toth, AICP, Newsletter Editor
Julie Hunter, Planning Official Development Officer
Michael Harper, Conference Coordinator
Nelson Stone, Southern Section Planning Official
Jeff Borchardt, Northern Section Assistant Director
Peter Gower, Northern Section Planning Official

Meeting was called to order at 1:03 pm.

A quorum was achieved.

- 1) Approval of the January 4, 2020 NVAPA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes:
Jared motioned to approve minutes as amended. Approved unanimously.
- 2) Consent Agenda:
 - President's report: (submitted by Nathan Goldberg).
 - *Scholarship/Sponsorship for USC project with RTC/CLV*
 - *PDO needed*

Nathan: Our PODO officer had to step down due to a job change. So we're happy for her new opportunity. We will need someone new in that role and/or just putting it out there we'll need to put out an announcement to get someone in that role. Do we want to do an email blast to Chapter membership to see if we have volunteers?

Fred: I got the sense that Julie was frustrated about not knowing what the PODO role is. Perhaps we can step back and clarify the role before we recruit? Or maybe the larger question is: Do we need a PODO role?

Jared: It's in our bylaws, I believe.

Marco: Yes, in larger chapters, PODO provides a lot of support to officials, whether elected or official. The PODO serves as a resource for guidance with difficult issues, someone who can help provide unofficial information to people in those roles (ethics, etc.). As a smaller chapter, we've had limited experience using that position to that extent, but I think part of it is also making sure that the officials out there know that they can rely on this position for questions as they come up.

Fred: It sounds like it makes more sense to look to our more senior planners, those with decades of experience. It sounds like we need to recruit someone with a depth and breadth of experience.

Marco: Letting officials know that the person is here as a resource for them.

Nathan: I would think that producing a small insert or one-pager, you get a 'welcome packet,' basically everything you need to serve in this role. This could help people take advantage of it, I think right now no one takes advantage of it because no one knows it exists.

Lorenzo: I'm looking at our bylaws. I do not see the position.

Jared: Yeah, I don't see it either.

Lorenzo: Maybe we should check with National?

Nathan: Let's check if its required, and if so, clarify the role and expectations for what we want out of that role. I'll add that as a follow-up for March. Moving on, I had no idea where this stands...I know we have scholarship money set aside to do various things with. With Nevada colleges having no planning programs right now, it is difficult...USC micro transit in west Las Vegas. I know they were looking for scholarship or sponsorship funds...just putting out a feeler to see if any of you might know of agencies looking for something like that. Curious if anyone has any comments or thoughts, let me know.

Aric: I support doing this

Lorenzo: This would be a sponsorship for a request we got?

Nathan: I can bring this back in March as a formal item if we are interested doing it. Since it is not a Nevada school, but it is a Nevada project. Just wanted to see if there was any interest.

Lorenzo: This is for the students? Do you have more details?

Nathan: I'll get more details, but the money would be for the students. I believe they need the money to do some 4-dimensional modeling of their project, and to have an agency do that for them would cost a couple thousand dollars, so they were looking for help with that. I will get more details for our March meeting.

- Chapter Newsletter (no report submitted).
- Treasurer's report (submitted by Jared Tasko).
 - Updated check register attached. Changes from last month include the following:
 - i. Paid \$1,254.00 for AICP CM Provider Registration to APA

- ii. Northern Section cashed the \$745 check from the Chapter for the 2020 membership rebate
- iii. Received \$2,144.12 for 1st quarter dues distribution from APA

Jared: I just got a notice for the GoDaddy renewal for our old website, so I'll let that expire and turn off the auto-renewal on that. I should still have access via our Google account. I need to update the officers on our Silver Flume.

- Secretary's report: (submitted by Ellie Reeder):
 - *Updated 2020-21 Chapter-Only Membership Roster attached.*
 - *2021 NVAPA Executive Board Roster attached.*
- Professional Development Officer's report submitted by Marco Velotta).
 - *Will have names for Board consideration mid-February for the Nevada APA Scholarship for the May Exam cycle.*
- Planning Official Development Officer Report (no report submitted).
- Northern Section Report (Events, Treasurer's Report) (submitted by Frederick Steinmann).
 - *The Northern Section held a Section Officers meeting on Thursday, January 14, 2021. We discussed (1) the possible development and delivery of a 'fun' or 'social' activity to be sponsored by the Northern Section for Chapter members for some time in March 2021 that can be done while still being compliant with existing COVID-19 restrictions, (2) details regarding initial development of the Fall 2021 NVAPA Annual Conference, and (3) initiating a year to year-and-a-half long Chapter-sponsored effort to being a comprehensive evaluation and potential legislative update regarding NRS 278. The Northern Section, in partnership with the College of Business at the University of Nevada, Reno, continues to deliver the ongoing "In The Black" speaker series that will feature a special roundtable 'wrap-up' discussion on Tuesday, February 23, 2021. Various Northern Section officers also participated in a joint Northern-Southern Section 'brainstorming' session on Wednesday, January 20, 2021 focused on developing joint outreach and engagement efforts. Peter Gower and Frederick Steinmann are getting ready to publish the first set of NVAPA Fact Sheets initiated after the Fall 2020 NVAPA Annual Conference.*
- Southern Section Report (Events, Treasurer's Report) (submitted by Garrett TerBerg).
 - *A Planning Advance was held on January 20 via Zoom to chart the course for 2021 and beyond. A number of Executive Board and Chapter Members were in attendance. Items discussed after introductions included the following:*
 - i. *Director's Vision for 2021 and beyond; Opportunities for partnering with other organizations for events, et al.;*
 - ii. *Activities;*
 - iii. *Outreach;*
 - iv. *Next steps – ways to help*
 - *As a result of this meeting, an event is in the planning stages for March (Comprehensive Master Plan Process/Zoning Issues), along with another in June (2021 Legislative Session Summary). More will be coming soon.*

- 3) Committee Updates:
- Communications Committee

Garrett: Haven't heard anything since our last meeting.

Lorenzo: I did add the Nevada Strategic Plan to the main buttons on the website, it was previously hard to find. I have not heard from anyone interested in the Social Media Coordinator position.

- Conference Committee (no discussion)

Fred: The Northern Section officers did meet a couple of weeks ago. Oct. 11-12 for the Fall conference. Plan A: In-person in Reno, Plan B: Virtual conference. This all hinges on COVID conditions. Those plans are moving forward. Initial conversation was to host in Fallon, but feedback suggested Reno may be more appropriate. Aric has been great looking into using the Reno Ballroom for the in-person conference plan. We've set June/July as a date for deciding which approach we'll take. If an in-person conference is not realistic at that point, we'll move forward with plans for a virtual conference. That way, we can have registration ready to go in August, so everyone can make plans accordingly.

- Nominating Committee (no discussion)

4) Discussion and Possible Action:

a) (Standing Item): 2021 Legislative Session

Marco: About 900 bill requests floating around right now. About 80 bills to be introduced today in Senate and 80 in House. I have some set aside on various subjects, everything from alcohol to zoning, a variety of things of interest. Some are specific to planning, others are nebulous. I'll keep the list updated and maintain regular updates. Big focus is budget-oriented. Scott Carey wanted to make sure everyone follows along with the bill related to their office, and one on electronic transmission of maps. Later, we'll have one specific to public health and urban planning and one specific to zoning, so those two are of interest to us for sure.

b) Membership/recruitment subcommittee (submitted by Aric Jensen).

Aric: I spent 15 years on the Board for the Utah Chapter. One of the things we worked on was building our membership. When I joined in 1999, our membership wasn't much more than what we have here. While the state had some sustained growth, but we also reached out heavily to sister orgs ASLA, Women in Transportation, engineering orgs, and then cross-promoted their events with ours. We also crossed the m-credit approval. We found that there were a lot of potential members who needed the education credits, and our organization could provide that education. We had a lot of credits that they could utilize also, and it worked out well. I want to propose that we create a subcommittee that we use to explore ways to grow our membership and also reach out to other organizations.

Alfredo: I reached out director of ICMA in Nevada. She talked about how they have a May conference in Tahoe but had yet to plan anything. She wanted me to send her what we thought was a general calendar of luncheons, etc. I think those are easy wins if we decide to do something, just make sure they cross-pollinate.

Aric: I would like to make a **motion to create a subcommittee to further explore this topic. Garrett seconded the motion. Approved unanimously.**

Nathan: I have a couple of contacts that I can share with you when we get to that point.

Aric: I will offer to start as the Chair of the committee until we meet amongst ourselves and decide who will lead it.

c) Discussion on procedure and payment options for Chapter-Only membership registration (submitted by Aric Jensen).

Aric: I want to make sure we have an easy way we can register chapter-only members. How are we currently registering those folks and can we make it easier for them?

Jeff joined the call.

Jared: That's a good point, Aric.

Jim: Looking into online credit card payments - the fees were excessive to what we want. It was cost-prohibitive.

Nathan: That sounds right. Another committee I was on also dealt with this.

Jim: Basically, the fees ate up all of our profit. Venmo seems the best for the young people who are using it.

Jared: We have maybe 10-15 chapter-only members and it is cumbersome to send a check, but we had also discussed putting our focus on National sign-ups.

Nathan: I agree that should be our focus. I think this got turned around with COVID as a possible cost-saving option being to register as a chapter-only member for a year or so.

Aric: What are we charging currently:

Jared: \$40. Most people joining on their own do not have a problem sending a personal check.

Aric: Where I was going with this, is that we could offer those who are already members of other organizations, who don't necessary want to register with National, but who do want to me Chapter members.

Jared: I guess we could look to see if there's another platform we can use in place of mailing a personal check.

Jim: Why don't we just let them join? Why would we want to dissuade anyone from joining? I would love to have the integration. This would be a great opportunity to grow with social networking, too. There is a point where if we get enough people, we can deal with that.

Aric: Yes, absolutely. Let's try it.

Lorenzo: Perhaps we should place it on the agenda for next month?

Jared: Yes, we could discuss creation of an email list in place of fee and can be included in notification of events, etc.

Jim: Can we vote on it now?

Nathan: I think we're in the clear to take action.

Lorenzo: Are we making a motion to waive chapter fees going forward?

Nathan: I think the point is that we have less than 10 individuals so losing \$300 or so...

Aric: A motion for newly formed membership subcommittee to make a recommendation to the board at our next meeting?

Lorenzo: AS you look into that, we could also explore a Friend of APA, or different tiers that offer different benefits based on membership level.

d) Social Media Coordinator position and membership fee waiver incentive (submitted by Lorenzo Mastino).

Lorenzo: I have not received any interested peoples in the position after we sent our email. So I wanted to bring this up, and ask for some direction on the postings and how to deal with this. I think it is pretty important.

Nathan: I would say that we give it a little more time to see if we get a volunteer. If someone on the Board wants to volunteer in the meantime, that's great.

Lorenzo: Ok, so we'll plan for this same item on the agenda for next month. How do we proceed with an exploratory position someone is interested in.

e) APA Diversity Scholarship and amending scholarship criteria accordingly (submitted by Marco Velotta).

Marco: APA changed how they're doing the scholarships, effective last year. What other Chapters are starting to do, is to provide opportunities for learned diversity and accessibility... we are still apportioned the same number of scholarships from APA , but I think we need to make these changes in our policies and procedures. I don't have anything to act on right now, but do we want to continue to provide these needs-based scholarships from Chapter funds?

Nathan: Hearing no comments, we'll look forward to hearing the amended policies for next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 1:46pm.

Next meeting Monday, March 1, 2021 at 1:00pm.