

**Nevada Chapter  
American Planning Association Executive Committee Board Meeting  
August 3, 2020**

**Meeting Minutes**

**Attendees:**

Lorenzo Mastino, Chapter Vice President  
Jared Tasko, AICP, LEED Green Associate, Chapter Treasurer  
Ellie Reeder, Chapter Secretary  
Marco Velotta, AICP, LEED Green Associate, Professional Development Officer  
Lisa Corrado, Southern Section Director  
Garrett Terberg, Southern Section Assistant Director  
Jim Marshall, Southern Section Treasurer  
Anna Marie Smith, Southern Section Secretary  
Fred Steinman, Northern Section Director  
Jeff Borchardt, Northern Section Assistant Director  
Aric Jensen, Northern Section Treasurer  
Amber Harmon, Northern Section Secretary

**Absent:**

Nathan Goldberg, AICP, Chapter President  
Robert Summerfield, Immediate Past President  
Greg Toth, AICP, Newsletter Editor  
Julie Hunter, Planning Official Development Officer  
Michael Harper, Conference Coordinator  
Nelson Stone, Southern Section Planning Official  
Peter Gower, Northern Section Planning Official

Meeting was called to order at 1:03pm.

A quorum was achieved.

- 1) Approval of the July 6, 2020 NVAPA Executive Committee Meeting Minutes: Lorenzo motioned to approve the minutes. Amber seconded the motion. Approved unanimously.
- 2) Consent Agenda:
  - President's report: (no report submitted).
  - Chapter Newsletter (no report submitted).
  - Treasurer's report (submitted by Jared Tasko):
    - *Attached is our current check register. Here are some updates since our last meeting:*
      - i) *Reimbursed Scott Carey \$145 toward his AICP exam registration costs since he passed the AICP exam.*
      - ii) *Paid \$1,021 to the Hanover Insurance Group to renew our liability insurance policy for another year.*

iii) Received \$1,476.01 from APA National for our 3rd quarter APA dues reimbursement.

iv) Total in our checking account is \$9,304.08 and total in our savings account is \$21,588.04.

Jared: I still owe the Northern and Southern sections the disbursement for membership dues. I think I never did it because we were still waiting on the disbursement from last year's conference. I will make those once that has been done.

Aric: We finally have it. I need to cut some checks. I will get that done ASAP.

Jared: I think it's around \$500-600 for the membership disbursement.

Amber: did the Southern section pay for the reception last year?

Jim: I believe we did.

- Secretary's report: (submitted by Ellie Reeder):
  - No new information to report.
- Professional Development Officer's report (submitted by Marco Velotta).
  - We've had a few members who took the test and passed, including Scott Carey, one of our scholarship recipients.
  - Still waiting on results from APA and PDO group; they've been slower on releasing during this summer session.
  - Continuing to post/distribute sessions for credit.

Marco: Nothing to add.

- Planning Official Development Officer report (no report submitted).
- Northern Section Report (Events, Treasurer's Report) (submitted by Fred Steinmann).
  - For the month of July 2020, the Northern Section of the NVAPA hosted two additional online educational luncheons, each worth a total of 1.0 AICP CM credits. The first one, held on Wednesday, July 15, 2020 featured Mr. Tim Thompson, Planning Director for the City of Fernley, who discussed the impacts of COVID-19 in Fernley, Nevada and the City of Fernley's ongoing response. The second one, held on Wednesday, July 22, 2020 featured Mr. Alran Melendez, Chairman of the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony, who discussed how COVID-19 has impacted Nevada's Tribal Nations and the efforts of the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony to mitigate those impacts. Members of the Northern Section are preparing a special roundtable discussion for Wednesday, August 19, 2020 that will feature past speakers from previous NVAPA online educational luncheons held over the past few months along with additional speakers and presenters. A summary of this roundtable discussion will be presented at the Chapter's 2020 NVAPA Annual Conference. Other NVAPA Northern Section activities, including in-person luncheons, special events, and social mixers remain on hold due to continuing social distancing protocols and prohibitions on large gatherings.

Fred: Nothing to add.

Jared: Has anybody heard from Julie?

Lorenzo: Should we add this to the agenda to discuss at next month's meeting?

Marco: What would probably help her is just checking to see what her situation is. Obviously, its been kind of explained and it totally makes sense being with the Health District. Letting her know what kind of outreach she should be doing would be helpful.

Jared: Next month we are supposed to discuss the leadership mission when Nathan is back. Perhaps we can discuss it then?

Fred: Do we have an actual description of the PDO officer's role?

Jared: I thought it was in the bylaws, I will let you know if I find it.

- Southern Section Report (Events, Treasurer's Report) (no report submitted).

Lisa: No new information to report. My focus is the virtual conference and getting people to commit. We have about half of the program confirmed. That is where I have been putting most of my time. Some of the topics we had wanted to do (virtual luncheon, etc.) are a lot of the topics we wanted to showcase at the conference itself. We're still working on it, and trying to get people with direct roles in the current events. I'm trying to get those confirmed immediately.

Lorenzo: I know its not easy. Even I still owe you a description of the international speakers section. I've been shopping around for a speaker and still haven't confirmed one yet.

Lisa: We might have to be a little more general right now and as things calm down, we can get more specific. I know its not until October but we need enough content to get people to register. I appreciate you helping trying to fill that topic.

Lorenzo: I remember Nathan was talking about a partnership with California? They were working on their virtual conference was well.

Lisa: We talked about cohosting but we usually end up doing all the work. All the chapters kind of struggle with engagement. I didn't want to have to do all the work and then struggle with engagement with others. There's only so much professional development that people want to pay for. I'm fine with cross-marketing, but we have no idea what the turnout is going to be.

Fred: Another thing here, we're roughly 60 days out. To me, seems like anything with another chapter, it seems like the ship has sailed on that.

Lisa: Oh no, I'm not planning on anything with another chapter now. I'm thinking I will send them information and they can distribute as they want to.

Fred: I completely understand it's difficult to finalize registration. I'm starting to get quite a few inquiries from the Northern Section about the conference. Is it possible to put together a one page flyer with a general description of what the sessions might be? A large number of the people who have reached out to me about it, a lot of them have to request attendance by their agency/employer and that takes a bit of time. I'm getting a sense that people don't need to see exactly what the conference is going to look like, they just need something to submit with their request to their governing agencies.

Anna: Do we need to have the program done before we can open registration?

Marco: No. No mobile sessions. Pretty much open, come as you are available. That can all be distributed the week before.

Lisa: Lets do that and focus on getting the registration going and the rest can be determined later.

Jim: I guess I just wanted the clarification: Who does that?

Lisa: Anna and I will draft it.

Marco: We can do it through National if you want or another platform is ok too. We've done both. We can also go with Zoom or whatever platform we use for the conference.

Anna: For the platform, we are thinking Webex.

Lisa: Registration is free though National, right?

Marco: If you need a way to capture the money, then APA is the way to go. If there's another way of taking money through the transaction and putting the money somewhere else, we've gone through APA in the past and it takes a little while. Aside from the schedule, as soon as that's ready, we'll get it loaded.

Lisa: Maybe lets just take the logistics part of it offline. We'll figure out what is the minimal amount we can get away with and see.

Jared: Lynn Jorgensen is out with APA National for some time. APA National does take a small fee, but can print a batch out and can be a simplified process, working with them.

Lisa: Sounds good.

- 3) Committee Updates:
- Communications Committee (no report submitted).

Garrett: We are moving along with the website, on to looking at social media and how that's going to work.

Lorenzo: I had a brief conversation with Aric, we do want to schedule a meeting this month to see how we can tackle social media. Might be helpful with the conference as well. I'll work with him if he's interested, we'll try to coordinate a meeting. Marco will connect with you since you are doing the lion's share on that.

(inaudible)

Marco: Yes, thats fine.

Garrett: Thank you.

- Conference Committee (submitted by Amber Harmon).
  - I received a total of 11 award nominations this year, two of them in the new community partner category. Also we didn't receive a nomination for Citizen Planner if someone wants to turn in a late nomination for anyone they feel would be a good candidate for that category. Everything has been sent to the Georgia judges to review and we should know the winners by the end of August.

Amber: We should have all the winners by the end of August. The Nevada judges are still waiting to judge.

Fred: Adrian Freud, maybe In Memoriam? Given his decades of service, and to the community in general. He did a lot of work in Planning in general, his membership in the Chapter, UNR's planning program, etc.

Lisa: What if in place of that one, we did an In Memoriam award instead? Like a Lifetime Achievement. I think it was something special and I was looking up who won last time...it was the President's Lifetime Achievement Award. Nathan knows he has an award to pick, so he's working on that.

Fred: Sandy, Adrian's widow, has moved back to the Reno area. I don't know if she'd want to accept it on his behalf?

Amber: I asked Nathan how we wanted to do this. He said it would be cool if we sent the award to the winners ahead of time and took a picture to use at the award ceremony.

Fred: I'm happy either way. I know Greg's working on the newsletter and we have something In Memoriam for Adrian.

Lorenzo: We have to move pretty quickly on this.

Amber: We didn't get a ton of nominations last year, so we gave awards to people who were the only nominations in their category.

Fred: Then I would recommend Cody Wagner, has been on the Planning Commission (Fernley) and worked with the County School District.

Lisa: I like that idea.

Fred: What do you need if I was going to nominate Cody?

Amber: If you could send me a bio of who he is and what he's done. Eventually I'll need his picture. I don't know if you want to send Nathan an email as a recommendation for his selection.

Fred: I'll copy Nathan on my email.

#### 4) Discussion & Possible Action

- (Submitted by Lisa Corrado): *2021 Legislative Session (Standing Item)*  
- *Discussion regarding any planning bills/amendments that people might be thinking about. We have had issues with PUDs and were contemplating changes but wanted to see if it would affect others. The Deadline for BDRs is September so it would be good to start thinking about it.*

Lisa: No major updates. Idea of updating PUD legislation in NRS. So far, some entities that I've talked to are interested. When I have something that actually has language/strategy, I will communicate that.

"Legislation" will be the standing item and anybody who wants to share anything can.

- (Submitted by Ellie Reeder): *September NVAPA Meeting*  
- *The date for our usual monthly meeting in September this year is the 7th, which happens to also be Labor Day. I'm proposing we push our meeting forward one week to Monday, September 14th, in anticipation of Board members who may be taking a much needed vacation/staycation for the Labor Day weekend. Open for discussion for other options, as well.*

Lorenzo: Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Marco: Before there's any discussion, if the conference committee needs time to discuss anything, a meeting might need to happen before then.

Lisa: I'm not anticipating any issues with that.

Amber: Can we push it to the 8th?

Marco: Nathan said the 14th does work for him.

Lorenzo: Sounds like the 14th is going to work. Monday, September 14th will be our next meeting.

Other business:

- None

Meeting adjourned at 1:45pm.

Next meeting Monday, September 14, 2020 at 1:00pm.